Glutathione is not yet a household word. GRS Ultra Even some medical and holistic doctors who have heard the term may still have only a vague idea of what it is. However, everyone will soon be talking about this critical non-nutritive substance.
There are many factors that explain why glutathione is so beneficial. Additionally, glutathione has tremendous detoxifying ability through out the entire body.
Mechanism of Action of Glutathione:
- As a Skin Whitener: Glutathione is great for hyperpigmentation. Chemical correction of areas of hyperpigmentation is to inhibit melanin synthesis. Glutathione prevents melanin formation and makes skin light.
- Cell protectant:As a antioxidant: Glutathione (GSH) is the body's master antioxidant. Glutathione works as an antioxidant, helping to prevent free radical damage to cells. It is also important for making DNA, proteins, and other substances in the body. It helps to metabolize toxins and carcinogens (cancer-causing compounds) and is important for immune function. The body can make its own glutathione in the liver, and some foods (fruits, vegetables, and meats) contain it. It functions both as an antioxidant and an antitoxin and is a major defense system against illness and aging. Our glutathione level actually indicates our state of health and can predict longevity. It functions both as an antioxidant and an antitoxin and is a major defense system against illness and aging. Our glutathione level actually indicates our state of health and can predict longevity.
- Cofactor: Glutathione is the essential cofactor for many enzymes that require thiol-reducing equivalents, and helps keep redox-sensitive active sites on enzyme in the necessary reduced state. Higher-order thiol cell systems, the metallothioneins, thioredoxins and other redox regulator proteins are ultimately regulated by Glutathione levels-and the GSH/GSSG redox ratio. GSH/GSSG balance is crucial to homeostasis-stabilizing the cellular biomolecular spectrum, and facilitating cellular performance and survival.
- Metabolism: Glutathione and its metabolites also interface with energetics and neurotransmitter syntheses through several prominent metabolic pathways. Glutathione availability down-regulates the pro-inflammatory potential of leukotrienes and other eicosanoids. Recently discovered S-nitroso metabolites, generated in vivo from Glutathione and NO (nitric oxide), further diversify Glutathione's impact on metabolism.
- Aging process: Glutathione has been shown to slow down the aging process, detoxify and improve liver function, strengthen the immune system, and reduce the chances of developing cancer. Glutathione also works to help improve mental functions, increase energy, improve concentration, permit increased exercise, and improve heart and lung function - just to name a few.
- Natural Detoxification (AID): Our main organ of detoxification is the liver - the body's most concentrated source of glutathione. Studies show that low glutathione levels lead to poor liver function, causing more and more toxins to circulate through the body and resulting in damage to individual cells and organs. Doctors routinely use glutathione promoting drugs to detoxify victims of certain types of drug overdose.